Apocalypse Songs: A Singer-Songwriter Sci-fi Storytelling Adventure
Music and words by Aaron J. Shay
Directed by Charlotte Peters
Album available on Bandcamp!
In the far-flung future, a graduate student uncovers the classified records of a vanished scientist/poet sent to explore alternate Earths and document his findings in strange stories and original songs. Over the course of the show, you will hear about many fantastical places, from sunken towers under monstrous seas, to cyber-punk rock clubs in foggy super-cities. An interactive show for all ages, Apocalypse Songs delivers a message that the end of everything is just the beginning.
Bringing together old-world folk sounds with modern songwriting and speculative fiction, Aaron J. Shay presents his new album, Apocalypse Songs, released independently on January 26th, 2019. Blending Americana, folk-punk and indie ballads, Shay synthesizes a unique and energetic style for nerds of all ages and backgrounds. The album follows the story of a interdimensional scientist and poet as he explores and eventually finds himself lost in the multiverse. Backed by the unconventional instruments of banjo and ukulele and underscored by stomps and claps, Shay sings earnest and unusual songs that are both heartfelt and humorous, often walking the fine line between poetry and nonsense.
“David Bowie plus Pete Seeger!”
–Rogue Festival Reviews 2019
“Shay’s musical performances are mesmerizing… Skilled hands and a soulful voice!”
–PortFringe Reviews 2019
- Debuted at The Pocket Theater in Seattle, WA, on October 2nd, 2015
- First Night Tacoma in Tacoma, WA on December 31st, 2015 (1 performance)
- Rogue Festival in Fresno, CA, March of 2016 (4 performances)
- Private event in Medina, WA, during July of 2018 (1 performance)
- Album release show at Jack Straw Cultural Center, January 2019 (1 performance)
- Rogue Festival in Fresno, CA, March of 2019 (3 performances)
- Clockwork Alchemy in San Francisco, March of 2019 (1 performance)
- Norwescon 42 in SeaTac, WA, April 2019 (1 performance)
- Oregon Fringe Festival in Ashland, OR, April 2019 (2 performances)
- PortFringe in Portland, ME, June 2019 (4 performances)
This project was produced thanks to the Jack Straw Productions Artist Support Program (ASP). The album was released in January of 2019 at Jack Straw Cultural Center, to be toured over the course of the following year. Click here to see the Kickstarter funding page!